Pages

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

National Night Out

National Night Out is a (presumably national) event held the first Tuesday in August to promote anti-crime organizations and the like. But they also have other community members run booths, and in my town I got to be one of them!

My set-up was pretty similar to that of the local fair I did a few months ago. I was having the kids make Glurch, but I also had a bowl of Oobleck out as a demo they could touch.

Some statistics:
I brought a total of 26 oz of glue, and by the end I had used 18 oz.
I had about 75 kids come by to make something (I only had 25 cups left from a pack of 100).
The colors in order of popularity were blue, green, pink/red, yellow. I actually ran out of blue food coloring.

Here's the sign I put on my booth.
One of the glue bottles was of clear glue. I think I actually preferred it to the white glue, at least in terms of looks. The resulting Glurch seemed a bit stickier and goopier, but I ran out of the stuff before I could really see if that was the case. So sometime soon I want to compare the two (with accurately measured proportions!) and see if there are any differences.

My one big problem with doing the Glurch is that I don't actually measure the amounts out. The cup is filled up to a certain line, but then the water and borax are just kind of thrown in. This makes the proportions slightly different in every batch and leads to some being better than others.

Additionally, with the Oobleck you have to mix it occasionally, because I've found that the water and cornstarch tend to separate.

Unfortunately, this time I forgot the recipie cards. Which is a shame because some people asked me how to make it at home. But I did bring plastic snack bags for them to put their finished Glurch into.

No comments:

Post a Comment